Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sleeping Souls

"It is common rule with primitive people not to waken a sleeper, because his soul is away and might not have time to get back; so if the man wakened without his soul, he would fall sick." - 220 Preface to The Golden Bough.

I finally did my first blog!! I'm so glad I got the last James Frazer book from the bookstore!!

After opening the book and reading that one paragraph I decided to read more about it. In my tribe (Salish, Kootenai, Blackfeet) I learned that your soul can leave your body. I've heard stories from my mother and my great great grandmother saying they saw something terrible in their dream (the dream is what your soul saw outside of your body) before they would tell me the story they would have to eat because if you didnt before telling you dream it would come true. After they tell there stories we would go in the sweat house and prey to the creator to get rid of whatever was troubling us and our families.

I read about other peoples beliefs in the book and found out that some of the stories were similar to ours. I've been listening to the stories of my ancestors and I truly believe what they say about our soul. I believe that our dreams are stories that our soul tells us. We experience them in our sleep and the ones that are terrifying or wonderful, those are the dreams we remember the most.
- Lanette Joseph Myth Blog

3 comments:

  1. Lanette.
    I have read through everyone's posts on their blogs but this is the first one i have yet replied to. It's because I find yours the most interesting. Dreams are very powerful and mystical things that should were not taken lightly back in the reign of the Roman Gods nor should be taken lightly today. I like the way you related it to your own unique story and I think that you have a much more experienced view of oral stories and traditions than as do the rest of us. Thankyou for sharing the relation between Mythology and your tribe..just another example of how you really can't go 24 hours without viewing a mythological experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As with Melody Brucks, I very much enjoyed reading your blog and am very intrigued to hear what else you may post in the future. I look forward to reading about your unique experiences and how they may be similar or different to some of the concepts, quotes, texts etc presented.

    Sweet Dreams!

    /facepalm
    apologies for the cliche
    hehe

    Thanks again for the insight, it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too was able to purchase the last copy of The Golden Bough from Vargos on Friday morning at 9:30a. I also was able to purchase all the other books recommened for this class (on order in this week) from Vargos.

    If anyone need to know where Vargos is: 6 west main 587 5383

    I can't guarantee availability of the other bookds, but it can't hurt to call and try. The owner is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete